If you are here reading the article, you definitely know about such a devastating condition as a migraine. Over 30 million people in the US and much more people worldwide experience the symptoms of this unpleasant issue. Women are more likely to face the disorder than men, though a considerable part of male popularity is also reported to have this problem. Striving to avoid migraine and prevent its further occurrence one should understand its nature, the way it occurs, learn the factors that stimulate its appearance and find out possible methods to eliminate its impact.
First of all, it is necessary to mention that migraine is a pulsating headache that is likely to hit a single side of the head. While symptoms of the issue differ from person to person, it is well-known that physical activities aggravate the condition. Even though the exact reason of migraine appearance is not known, it is considered to be a result of abnormal brain activity that leads to temporary changes in chemicals, nerve signals and blood flow within the brain.
Everyone who has ever experienced migraines knows that the condition is rather debilitating and painful. Apart from the nasty headaches that are the main symptoms of the issue, vomiting, nausea, vision changes and increased sensitivity to light, smells and sounds can be developed, too. The symptoms of sporadic migraines may last for a few days, while the effect of chronic migraines may disturb a patient for 15 days every month or even more.
Are You Sure You Have Migraine?
Migraine prevention and treatment start with diagnosing. You can definitely consult a healthcare provider to ensure you suffer from the condition and require professional help. However, you can also track the existing symptoms on your own. Despite the fact that expanded migraine symptoms are not investigated, you may know for sure you have a migraine if you have noticed any of the following symptoms or their combination:
- Aura. People suffering from a migraine also experience auras, and the most frequently occurring is visual one.
- Depression, excitement, agitation, irritability. Sudden and unexplained mood changes are the brightest symptoms of migraines. You may suddenly feel depressed or irritated for no reason.
- Watery eyes and eye pain.
- Sleeping disorders. Insomnia, disturbed sleeping and problems falling asleep are the common signs of existing or incoming migraine.
- Increased urination.
- Difficulty speaking.
- Craving. Definite food cravings appear right before the preceding migraine attack.
- Neck pain.
- Vomiting, nausea and other stomach disorders.
Having any of these symptoms one should do everything possible to prevent or treat this undesirable condition.
What Are Possible Causes of Migraines?
Even after dozens of investigations have been made to understand the nature of migraines, they are still mysterious to some extent. Even though the results of researches and tests have revealed numerous possible causes of the issue, none of them is 100% sure. It means a patient may suffer from a migraine even without underlying conditions, such as the following:
- Central nervous system problems. If a person has any complications related to the CNS, he/she is more likely to experience migraine episodes. Affecting the central nervous system the condition affects the nerves, thus, boosts the occurrence of monotonous headache.
- Genes. Migraines can also be an inherited issue. If any member of your family or close relative have had migraine attacks, you are more likely to witness the disorder. The fact is proved by numerous researches in the field of genetics.
- Cardiovascular disorders. Complications or abnormalities in functioning of the brain blood vessels, blood flow and even cholesterol levels may lead to this condition.
- Brain chemicals irregularities. Since a range of nerve pathways and brain chemicals keep active during migraine attacks, their disorders can increase the risk of migraine occurrence.
7 Simple and Natural Steps to Warn Migraine by HealthCare Specialist
Finally, we have reached the culmination moment – the way to treat or prevent the condition. Surely, there is a great range of medications, supplements and herbal preparations that produce a desirable effect on migraine symptoms. However, if the condition is not yet debilitating and unbearable, you should try to modify your lifestyle to achieve the necessary improvements naturally, without any chemicals or surgeries. Thus, here are 7 easy and accessible methods that are approved to successfully improve migraine episodes and prevent their further occurrence:
- Get enough rest. Migraine headache is the first and, probably, the most vivid sign that your body requires rest. Due to their active and busy lifestyle, many people do not get enough sleep and daily rest, so their organism becomes weak and enervated. This is the best foundation for migraine appearance. Change your schedule and diversify your timetable to get enough sleep and be able to make small breaks during the day.
- Stay hydrated. Dehydration is another reason of headache occurrence. Thus, striving to prevent or improve the symptoms of already bothering migraines one should consume enough liquid. Fluids should be used regularly throughout the day for the best effect. Intensify drinking during physical activities and other issues that presuppose fluid loss to keep your organism hydrated, fresh and active.
- Create your own workout program. While numerous people cross exercises out of their daily routine fearing to trigger migraine, professionals recommend regular physical activities. Adjust your personal plan and keep in mind that moderate, daily exercises will decrease the duration of migraine episodes and will soon eliminate their occurrence.
- Eat frequently, though in small portions. Small snacks and meals during the day have a preferable effect on a person’s organism. According to numerous researches, foods rich in magnesium can improve the symptoms of migraine and prevent its occurrence.
- Reduce alcohol consumption. It is a well-known fact that excess alcohol consumption results in hangover and related headaches and migraines. However, people who are sensitive to migraines and similar conditions may feel worse even after small amounts of dangerous beverages. Dehydration is another issue that accompanies hangover.
- Decrease the number of stressful situations. Following the studies, the more stressful your life is, the more frequently migraine attacks occur in your life. Eliminating irritations and stress in your life will help you forget about this devastating disorder.
- Follow your schedule. Keeping track of your daily schedule you are more likely to experience no migraines. Since the condition is sensitive to changes, any deviations from the usual routine may result in new migraine episodes.
In addition to these tips you can practice hot shower, computer breaks, meditation, yoga, massage, calm music and multitude other ways to prevent and improve migraines.
Article by Canadian Health Care Mall Group